Election Calendar

2018 Election Dates

Candidate Filing Period

Maple Lake Candidate Filing Period for City Offices:

MAYOR (two-year term)
COUNCIL MEMBER – two positions (four year term)

Tuesday, July 31, 2018, at 7:00 a.m. and will close Tuesday, August 14, 2018, at 5:00 p.m.

Anyone desiring to file for office may do so during regular office hours (7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Thursday and 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 am Friday). The filing fee is $2.00.

Terms Expiring December 31, 2018

Lynn Kissock, Mayor
Deb Geyen, Councilmember
Todd Jude, Councilmember

Election Days
State Primary Election – Tuesday, August 14, 2018
State General Election – Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Browsing through this site, you will find information on candidate filing, voter registration, and absentee voting, although some of this information will not appear until closer to an upcoming election.  Please visit us often as we add more information. Contact City Clerk/Treasurer Lee Ann Yager  at (320) 963-3611.  Some of your questions may also be answered by visiting Wright County Elections website or the Secretary of State’s website.

Register to Vote Online

Voter Registration Application

Am I eligible to vote?

You may vote if you:

·    will be at least 18 years old on election day

·    are a citizen of the United States

·    will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding the election

·    maintain residence at the address given on the voter registration form

·    are not under court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes your right to vote.

·    have not been found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote.

·    have the right to vote because, if having been convicted of a felony, your felony sentence has expired (been completed) or you have been discharged from your sentence.

Am I registered to vote?

If you voted in Maple Lake during the past four (4) years, you are registered. You may contact Wright County or the Secretary of State’s Office to verify.  NOTE:  You need to register again any time you move or change your name.

How do I register to vote?

Voter registration forms are available at county courthouses, city halls and other public buildings throughout the state or by downloading a copy the registration application form.

Complete a voter registration application and return it, in person or by mail, to Wright County Elections & Registrations. Voter pre-registration deadline is 5:00 p.m., 21 days before the election.  You may also register to vote when you apply for your Minnesota driver’s license or state ID card.


You may register on Election Day.  You will need one of the following to verify your residence:

  • Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota identification card or receipt of one with your current address.
  • If the form of identification you plan to use has a former address, you may bring a recent utility bill* to use with your identification.
  • “Notice of Late Registration” postcard
  • U.S. passport or military id with utility bill*
  • If you do not have authorized proof of identity, you can still vote by having someone who is registered in the same precinct “vouch” for your residence.
  • Tribal ID**

If you are a student, you may use:

  • Student ID, registration, or fee statement with your current address
  • Student photo ID with utility bill*
  • Someone who is registered in the precinct where you live can “vouch” for your residence
  • Utility bill must be (regardless if delivered electronically or by mail) due within 30 days of election day
    • Telephone (landline,cell,VOIP,etc), television (cable, satellite, etc),or internet service provider.  Electric, gas, water, garbage, sewer, or solid waste. rent statement itemizing utilities, or current student fee statement.
    • Due within 30 days of the election, and have voter’s name and current address in the precinct

** Tribal Band Identification:  Tribal band members are not required to live on an Indian reservation in order to use a tribal identification card to prove residence.  They may prove residence for purposes of registering to vote by showing a tribal identification card with name, current address, signature and picture, or by presenting a tribal identification card as the photo ID when used with a current utility bill.

Registration Application

Where do I vote?

Use the precinct finder at the Secretary of State’s Website

Can I get assistance in the polling place?

Yes. If you need help with voting, you can ask the election judges at the polling place for assistance in reading or marking your ballot. You may also bring someone along to assist you.  The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) requires that every polling place include a voting system that is accessible for individuals with disabilities, providing them the opportunity to vote privately and independently.  Our new AutoMark Voter Assist Terminal allows voters with disabilities and other special needs assistance that includes:

  • An audio function that allows blind voters or those with severely impared vision to listen to the choices through headphones
  • A zoom feature that enables voters to increase the font size of each race listed on the optical scan ballot

All polling places should be fully accessible with clearly marked accessible doors and parking spaces. If you can’t easily leave your car, you can ask for the ballot to be brought out to you in your car.

Can I get time off from work to vote?

Yes.  Minnesota law allows every employee who is eligible to vote has the right to be absent without penalty or loss of salary or wages.  The actual new language provides that employees have the right to be absent from work “for the time necessary to appear at the employee’s polling place, cast a ballot, and return to work on the day of that election.”

How do I vote absentee?

You may find that you are unable to get to your polling place location on Election Day but still want to vote in the election. You can vote by casting an absentee ballot prior to Election Day.

In Minnesota, citizens are allowed to vote absentee for the following reasons:

  • Absence from your precinct
  • Illness or disability
  • Serving as an election judge in another precinct
  • Religious discipline or observance of religious holiday
  • Eligible emergency declared by the governor or quarantine declared by the federal or state government

Military and overseas voters can also vote by absentee ballot. See the Military/Overseas Voting page on the Secretary of State’s website for more information.

General Absentee Information
There are two ways to vote by absentee ballot: in person and by mail.

In Person Absentee Voting
You may cast an absentee ballot in person, at your county auditor’s office, starting 46 days prior to Election Day. This option is available on weekdays during business hours. In addition, the county auditor’s office must be open for absentee balloting from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Saturday before the election and until 5 p.m. on the day before the election. Contact your county auditor for more information.

Absentee Voting by Mail
In order to vote absentee by mail, you need to complete an Absentee Ballot Application and submit it to the Wright County Auditor’s office by mail, fax, or email (print off the application, sign it, scan it, and attach to an email as a .pdf).  Your ballot will be sent to you when it is ready – at least 46 days prior to the election if you applied for an absentee ballot in advance. If you apply for an absentee ballot within 46 days of the election, your ballot will arrive within a day or two of your application being received.

Absentee Ballot

Do I need to apply for an absentee ballot for each election?

No. You may contact Wright County Elections to be placed on a list of voters to automatically receive an absentee ballot application.

How do I sign up to serve as an election judge?

Call Maple Lake City Hall at (320) 963-3611, email Lee Ann Yager, or send a letter of interest to City of Maple Lake, PO Box 757, Maple Lake, MN 55358.

Election Judge requirements:

  • eligible to vote
  • able to read, write and speak English
  • attend a training class

Election Judge responsibilities:

  • open and close polls
  • register and sign in voters
  • distribute and collect ballots
  • operate voting equipment

Election Judge pay:

Currently Maple Lake Election Judges are paid $7 per hour. State Statute allows for time off from work without loss of wages with 20 days prior written notice to the employer.


Full-day (6:00 a.m. to approximately 9:00 p.m.) or part-time shifts (6:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. to 4:30 pm and 4:30 to finish-approximately 9:00 p.m.) are available.

Who should I contact with further questions?

Contact City Clerk Lee Ann Yager for more information.


Welcome to Maple Lake!